Built circa 1675, the Conference House is an extraordinary pre-Revolutionary stone manor house. It was the site of the historic Staten Island Peace Conference, held on September 11, 1776, in which delegates from the Continental Congress, including Benjamin Franklin and John Adams, met with the British to attempt to negotiate an end to the Revolutionary War.
Families may visit the Conference House during regular hours.
Students are given a brief history of the house, followed by a tour and demonstrations. Young imaginations are opened up to how life was lived when horses were the chief mode of transportation, heat came from fireplaces, fabrics were spun at home and the supermarket was one’s own backyard.