Actors' Temple was founded in 1917 as the West Side Hebrew Relief Association. Over time a bond formed between the shul and Jews working in the surrounding show business industry. Talent from vaudeville, musical theater, nightclubs, live television and the dramatic stage made the synagogue a true Actors Temple. Former members include Al Jolson, Sophie Tucker, Red Buttons, three of the Marx Brothers, Joe E. Lewis, Sandy Koufax, Edward G. Robinson, two of the Three Stooges, Jack Benny, Shelley Winters and Henny Youngman.
Today, the synagogue rents space to performing arts groups and serves as a cultural venue for Off Broadway plays, dance, music and religious celebrations.