Godwin-Ternbach Museum at Queens College
Godwin Ternbach Museum
Since 1957, Queens College has been collecting works of art. Originally, it was a teaching collection meant to serve the college community, and in 1980 it became a museum. The museum is now part of the Kupferberg Center for the Arts, which has joined together all the arts on campus in collaborations of visual, performance, dance and theater arts. Each exhibition offers an array of lectures, gallery talks, films, family and children workshops, concerts and tours, often collaborating with academic departments and centers at the college. The permanent collection of more than 3,500 objects includes pieces from antiquity to the present such as 20th-century prints by Alexander Calder and Andy Warhol, sculptures from the ancient Near East, Africa and Latin America, and ancient glass. The museum’s exhibitions and events are open to Queens College students, faculty, staff and the public.
Docent tours of the museum are offered. Check Web site for current exhibition. Related printed materials are available to help prepare students for their visit.