The Westside Gallery on West 21st Street is part of the School of Visual Arts (SVA).
The Whitney maintains one of the world's foremost collections of 20th-century American art. With some 12,000 works, virtually every American artist of significance is represented.
Mon, Wed & Thurs: 11 am-6 pm Tues: 11 am-7 pm Fri: 1 pm-5 pm Sat: 10 am-5 pm In 1931, the Woodlawn Heights Branch Library of the New York Public Library began as a storefront on East 237th Street and Katonah Avenue. In 1969, the library moved to the corner of East 239th and Katonah just three blocks from the Yonkers border and now occupies a modest 2,500-square feet. This cozy one-floor branch is accessible to persons using wheelchairs and houses materials for adults, young adults and children. For more information on the branch, click here.
Mon & Thurs: 11 am-7 pm Tues & Wed: 12 pm-6 pm Fri: 12 pm-5 pm Sat: 10 am-5 pm Opened to the public in 1914, this branch is one of the original libraries built with funds given to New York City by Andrew Carnegie. Children's, young adult and adult collections are located on the first floor. A large room on the second floor is used for free library programs for all ages. Renovation of the second floor is scheduled, and a new and expanded children's room will be opened after its completion. For more information on the branch, click here.
The subterranean Judy and Arthur Zankel Hall opened in September 2003 and is accessed from Seventh Avenue, near the corner of West 56th Street. The modern, wood-lined auditorium generally seats 599 but can employ alternate stage configurations with different capacities. One can occasionally hear the faint rumbling of the subway line, beneath the hall.