Mon, Wed & Fri: 10 am-6 pm Tues: 1-8 pm Thurs: 1-6 pm Sat: 10 am-5 pm One of the newest public libraries in Brooklyn, the branch began in 1955 in the Cypress Hill Houses, a large neighborhood housing development. The new brick building, opening in 1995, was part of a program to revitalize East New York. Distinctive features include metal-clad roof and skylit atrium. Artwork by Brooklynite Rolando Briseno is displayed at the entrance gate. Among its features are African-American and parenting collections. For more information, click here.
Mon, Tues & Fri: 10 am-6 pm Wed: 1-8 pm Thurs: 1-6 pm Sat: 10 am-5 pm The DeKalb branch opened in 1905. The 12,000 square foot Classical Revival library, is a two-story, three-bay brick and limestone building with high-ceilinged reading rooms. It has materials in English, Spanish and Chinese. For more information, click here.
Mon & Wed: 11 am-7 pm Tues & Thurs: 10 am-6 pm Fri & Sat: 11 am-5 pm A modern, one-story branch, Dongan Hills houses nearly 50,000 books, periodicals, CDs, cassettes, videos and other materials. A meeting room, with a seating capacity of 60, is used for library events such as story hours, films and lectures, as well as for community-sponsored events. For more information on the branch, click here.
Mon, Wed & Fri: 10 am-6 pm Tues: 1-8 pm Thurs: 1-6 pm Sat: 10 am-5 pm Designed by Daniel Laitin, the one-story building has a blue-green glazed brick exterior. It has materials in English, Italian, Russian and Chinese. For more information, click here.
Mon, Wed & Fri: 10 am-6 pm Tues: 1-8 pm Thurs: 1-6 pm Sat: 10 am-5 pm Nearly 70 percent of the library's users are children and young adults. For more information, click here.
Mon, Wed & Fri: 10 am-6 pm Tues: 1-6 pm Thurs: 1-8 pm Sat: 10 am-5 pm A two-story, 5-bay library Carnegie building, Eastern Parkway Branch features a limestone facade with large arched windows and is reached by a flight of steps, a characteristic Carnegie library feature. It is wheelchair accessible. For more information, click here.
Mon & Wed: 12-7 pm Tues & Thurs: 10 am-6 pm Fri & Sat: 10 am-5 pm The Epiphany Branch of the New York Public Library, once part of the Cathedral Library Association founded by the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York, has served the Gramercy Park-Stuyvesant Town area since 1887. The current Epiphany Branch building, an elegant Carnegie Library, opened on September 29, 1907. It was a major neighborhood cultural and educational source until 1982, when it was closed for nearly two years for an extensive expansion and renovation; the restored library opened on July 16, 1984. Today, the handsome three-story building, ...
Mon, Wed & Fri: 10 am-6 pm Tues & Thurs: 1-8 pm Sat: 10 am-5 pm It is wheelchair accessible. For more information, click here.
Mon & Wed: 10 am-6 pm Tues & Thurs: 12-7 pm Fri & Sat: 10 am-5 pm Built with funds donated by Andrew Carnegie, Fort Washington opened to the public in April 1914 in its present location, two blocks east of the George Washington Bridge. When the Fort Washington Branch celebrated its 75th anniversary in 1989, several well-known personalities, including Henry Kissinger and journalist/author Edwin Newman, fondly recalled how important the branch was to them as teenagers. Among the many other noted residents this branch has served are Lou Gehrig, Maria Callas, Ralph Ellison, Marianne Moore and Jacob Javits. Today the branch continues ...
Mon & Wed: 12-7 pm Tues & Thurs: 10 am-6 pm Fri & Sat: 10 am-5 pm George Bruce was an enterprising young Scotsman who sailed to the United States before he was 15. Eventually settling in New York, he became a well-known typefounder and inventor of printing machinery. In 1877, Bruce's daughter Catherine contributed $50,000 for a library building and books, in memory of her father. Completed in 1888, the original George Bruce Library was located on 42nd Street. When it was sold in 1915, the proceeds were used to build the present-day, handsome brick and sandstone CarrÃ¨re and Hastings-designed building on ...