This historic house is site of the Staten Island Peace Conference, held on September 11, 1776, in which delegates from the Continental Congress met with the British to attempt to negotiate an end to the Revolutionary War.
With its bright, colorful displays with a special focus on NYC's history, the DiMenna Childrens' History Museum is the perfect place for young history buffs to bone up on knowledge about their city. Located within the New-York Historical Society, kids will learn by interacting with fun hands-on exhibits, games, story hours, family programs, spending time in the Children's History Library, participating in school programs and more.
Originally built of brick, fieldstone and wood in 1784, Dyckman House is Manhattan's last surviving colonial farmhouse. The house contains relics and heirlooms from early colonial life and the Revolutionary War. It also has a half-acre garden.
The site of George Washington's emotional farewell to his officers at the end of the Revolutionary War, this reconstructed 18th-century building hosts varied exhibits on the early history of the United States.
During the 1850s two remarkable Italians, Giuseppe Garibaldi and Antonio Meucci, shared this house on Staten Island before Garibaldi led the birth of the modern state of Italy.
Fort Hamilton, the earliest granite fortification built in New York Harbor, is today the official United States Army Museum in the City of New York. Permanent displays tell the story of the generations of guns, mines, airplanes and missiles that have protected the harbor.
The Houdini Museum of New York has several hundred of the rarest and most important pieces that was used and personally belonged to Harry Houdini on display. In the museum's archives are over 1,500 pieces of Houdiniana that allow for an ever changing display.
Rufus King (1755-1827) was a prominent figure who served under the first four U.S. presidents. His Jamaica estate remained in his family until 1896. The museum introduces visitors to the family, estate, village and national life of the 19th century. The manor is the centerpiece of an 11-acre historic park.
The original Lefferts home, built before the American Revolution in the farming village of Flatbush, was burned down during the Battle of Long Island in 1776. The structure that now stands is a circa-1783 replacement, moved to its present location in 1918.
Leo Baeck Institute is a research library and archive that contains the most significant collection of source material relating to the history of German-speaking Jewry, from its origins to its tragic destruction by the Nazis and continuing to the present day.