One of the city‚ oldest public spaces, this 25-acre park at the tip of Manhattan and the confluence of the Hudson and East Rivers is the largest park in Lower Manhattan. Its name refers to the battery of cannons once placed here to protect New Amsterdam.
Battery Park City Parks Conservancy is a non-profit organization that oversees the maintenance of 36 acres of parkland in Lower Manhattan.
This park has been a presence in the neighborhood for almost 100 years. Built on land bequeathed to the city specifically for purposes of public health and recreation, it continues to serve the community as a nexus of activity today. The park has seen numerous improvements through the years, most notably the construction of the Play Center (pool and bathhouse), a monumental WPA-era building that set the bar for recreation facilities across the country.
On the southern tip of Staten Island, this 236-acre park has streams, woodlands, ponds, egrets, herons and muskrats. Along with Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge, Blue Heron Park is the city‚ most active spot for migratory fowl. Wildflower, fungus and geology walks, pond studies and photography sessions are offered..
At 9.5 acres, Pier 1 includes two large lawns, Bridge View lawn and Harbor View lawn, a playground at the northern edge, a waterfront promenade and tree-lined pathways. Over 500 mature trees are planted on Pier 1.
Pier 6 adds approximately seven acres of new park, including a 1.6 acre destination playground. A 30-foot wide promenade leading onto the pier features views of lower Manhattan and New York Harbor.
The Tobacco Warehouse, originally built by the Lorillard family, sits on the upland of Empire-Fulton Ferry Park, just north of the Brooklyn Bridge, and just south of the Empire Stores. Together, these landmark 19th century warehouses are vivid reminders of the shipping activity that once defined the downtown Brooklyn waterfront. Constructed in the 1870s as a tobacco customs inspection center, and saved from demolition in 1998, the roofless rooms of the Tobacco Warehouse provide one of the most compelling public spaces in Brooklyn Bridge Park. The New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation repaired and stabilized the warehouse ...
Bryant Park lets New Yorkers relax in the middle of midtown Manhattan. In summer, crowds attend lunchtime readings and performances of Broadway excerpts, screenings of classic films on Mondays, and even yoga classes. In winter, a skating rink and holiday market are big draws.
The original Reading Room began in August of 1935 as a public response to the Depression Era job losses in New York. Many people did not have anywhere to go during the day, and no prospects for jobs. The New York Public Library opened the 'Open Air Library' to give these out-of-work businessmen and intellectuals a place to go where they did not need money, a valid address, a library card, or any identification to enjoy the reading materials. The 1935 Reading Room consisted of several benches, a few book and magazine cases, and a table with a beach umbrella for ...
The upper terrace of Bryant Park is directly behind the New York Public Library, on the eastern edge of Bryant Park, overlooking the park lawn.