Hudson River Park is a 550-acre riverside park on the west side of Manhattan between Battery Place and West 59th Street. It is the largest park to be created in Manhattan since Central Park, and includes public piers, an esplanade, playgrounds, a path used by bicyclists, joggers and in-line skaters and limited commercial activities at several sites.
The Staten Island Museum holds some of its nature events at this state park.
Located along the Hudson at the very northern tip ofManhattan, this 196-acre park contains the last stand of native forest on the island and a stone marker commemorating the spot where Peter Minuit is said to have purchased the island from local Reckgawawancsfor various trinkets and beads. A new shoreline bike path provides even closer links to the river.
The Irish Hunger Memorial by artist Brian Tolle raises public awareness of the events that led to the Irish famine of 1845-52. It includes stones from Irish counties and plant life native to Ireland.
Brooklyn-born J.J. Byrne (1863-1930) served as chief clerk of the Bureau of Public Buildings (1907-08) and later Brooklyn Commissioner of Public Works (1924-26). The park has a playground, sprinker fountain in which children can play, and the Old Stone House of Gowanus, a reconstruction of the Vechte-Cortelyou house, originally built by Claes Arents Vechte in 1699. Events take place in the house.
Two baseball diamonds, basketball courts, volleyball courts and two playgrounds, one with a water play area, provide residents with spots to compete and play. A bandshell within its boundaries hosts of concerts throughout the warm season, keeping Harlem's tradition of fostering local music alive and well. Access the bandshell via West 122nd Street and Mt. Morris Park West.
This park contains basketball and handball courts, bathrooms, a playground and spray showers. It is also home to the CITYarts Pieces for Peace Mosaic with Youth from Around the World.
Built by a Dutch family in the 18th century, Lefferts Historic House in Prospect Park interprets the history of Brooklyn's environment from pre-Colonial times until the present, using its working garden, historic artifacts and documents, as well as period rooms and exhibits.