The Delacorte Theater, located at the heart of Central Park, is best known for its summertime productions of Shakespearean plays, which take place during the annual New York Shakespeare festival.
Duffy Square is bordered on the north side by a TKTS discount theater ticket booth, run by the Theater Development Fund. The booth is topped by a public staircase that serves as an outlook over Times Square to the south. The square, triangular in shape, is named for Catholic priest Francis P. Duffy (1871-1932), whose career included serving as priest at Holy Cross Church in Hell's Kitchen, a block from Times Square. A statue of Duffy and one of playwright and actor George M. Cohan stand in the square.
The bandshell offers theater, dance and music events. Seating is outdoors in amphitheater style.
The NYC Native American Heritage Pow wow is held here annually. One day of the Native American Festival is open to general public.
In the heart of the trendy Meatpacking District, Gansevoort Plaza is at the intersection of Gansevoort Street, Little West 12th Street and Ninth Avenue.
This 172-acre island in New York Harbor was a quiet military installation under the jurisdiction of the U.S. Army from 1794 to 1966 and of the Coast Guard until 1996. It now hosts free art exhibitions, festivals and ticketed concerts and is accessible by a free ferry.
Unveiled in 1956, the idea for the statue originated with Baroness Alma Dahlerup, then president of the Danish-American Women's Association of New York, who for many years had arranged for Andersen's stories to be told on the radio. Robert Moses, then New York City parks commissioner, selected the site and the city's Department of Parks and Recreation has supported it. Donations by schoolchildren in Denmark and the United States made up a share of the funding for the statue, which was executed by the Danish American sculptor George Lober. Hans Christian Andersen's well-rubbed knees are ample evidence of the fun ...