One of the city’s oldest public spaces, this 25-acre park on landfill at the tip of Manhattan and the confluence of the Hudson and East Rivers is the largest park in Lower Manhattan. Its name refers to the battery of cannons once placed here to protect New Amsterdam. Castle Clinton, a round fort constructed to defend the harbor during the War of 1812, is now a visitor center operated by the National Park Service.
The park commands a sweeping view of the entire harbor and is the only embarkation point in New York City for ferries for the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. The park also features war memorials, the Sphere (formerly located on the plaza of the World Trade Center), public art and playful fountains. The park is managed by New York City Department of Parks and Recreation with the nonprofit Battery Conservancy, which hosts regular events throughout the year and has sponsored numerous landscaping and architectural innovations.