The Astor Place Theatre is located in the historic Colonnade Row, originally constructed in 1831 as a series of nine connected buildings, of which only four remain. Designed in Greek revival style, and fronted by imposing marble columns, the buildings served as residences for Astors and Vanderbilts, and are among the oldest buildings in the city. They were designated as New York City Landmarks in 1963. The theater first opened its doors under the direction of Bruce Mailman on January 17, 1968. The theater seats 300.